We found that 60% of the most popular projects on GitHub are libraries or frameworks (including web and non-web ones).
We performed a manual classification of the application domain of 5,000 GitHub repositories (the most popular ones, by number of stars, on January, 2017).
We classified each system in one of the following application domains:
- Application software: systems that provide functionalities to end-users, like browsers and text editors (e.g., WordPress/WordPress and adobe/brackets).
- System software: systems that provide services and infrastructure to other systems, like operating systems, middleware, and databases (e.g., torvalds/linux and mongodb/mongo).
- Web libraries and frameworks (e.g., twbs/bootstrap and angular/angular.js).
- Non-web libraries and frameworks (e.g., google/guava and facebook/fresco).
- Software tools: systems that support development tasks, like IDEs, package managers, and compilers (e.g., Homebrew/homebrew and git/git).
- Documentation: repositories with documentation, tutorials, source code examples, etc. (e.g., iluwatar/java-design-patterns).
The results are in the following figure.
The top-3 domains are web libraries and frameworks (1,535 repositories, 30.7%), non-web libraries and frameworks (1,439 repositories, 28.7%), and software tools (972 repositories, 19.4%).
Most popular applications:
jekyll – :globe_with_meridians: Jekyll is a blog-aware, static site generator in Rubygithub.com
resume.github.com – Resumes generated using the GitHub informationsgithub.com
Most popular repositories with documentation:
The https://freeCodeCamp.com open source codebase and curriculum. Learn to code and help nonprofits.github.com
awesome-python – A curated list of awesome Python frameworks, libraries, software and resourcesgithub.com
Apollo-11 – Original Apollo 11 Guidance Computer (AGC) source code for the command and lunar modules.github.com
Most popular software tools:
oh-my-zsh – A delightful community-driven (with 1,000+ contributors) framework for managing your zsh configuration…github.com
tensorflow – Computation using data flow graphs for scalable machine learninggithub.com
AFNetworking – A delightful networking framework for iOS, OS X, watchOS, and tvOS.github.com
Modern command line HTTP client – user-friendly curl alternative with intuitive UI, JSON support, syntax highlighting…github.com
Most popular web libraries and frameworks:
d3 – Bring data to life with SVG, Canvas and HTML. :bar_chart::chart_with_upwards_trend::tada:github.com
Most popular non-web libraries and frameworks:
The spreadsheet with all our data is available here.